About the author
Novels and Novellas
The Reproductive System. London: Gollancz, 1968. New York: Ace, 1969, as Mechasm.
Black Alice, with Thomas M. Disch. New York: Doubleday, 1968, as by Thom Demijohn. London: W.H. Allen, 1969.
The Müller-Fokker Effect. London: Hutchinson, 1970. New York: Morrow, 1971.
Black Aura. London: Jonathan Cape, 1974. New York: Walker, 1979. A Thackeray Phin Mystery.
Invisible Green. London: Gollancz, 1977. New York: Walker, 1979. A Thackeray Phin Mystery.
Roderick, or, The Education of a Young Machine. London: Granada, 1981. New York: Timescape, 1982, first 2/3 only. New York: Carroll & Graf, 1987.
Roderick at Random, or, Further Education of a Young Machine. London: Granada, 1983. New York: Carroll & Graf, 1988.
Tik-Tok. London: Gollancz, 1983. New York: DAW, 1985.
Bugs. London: Macmillan, 1989.
Blood and Gingerbread (novella). New Castle, VA: Cheap Street, 1990.
Wholly Smokes (novella). Reading, Berkshire: Ansible E-ditions, 2003.
The Steam-Driven Boy and Other Strangers. London: Panther, 1973.
23 stories, the last 10 being parodies:
- The Secret of the Old Custard
- The Aggressor
- The Best-Seller
- Is There Death on Other Planets?
- The Happy Breed
- A Report on the Migrations of Educational Materials
- The Singular Visitor from Not-Yet
- The Short, Happy Wife of Mansard Eliot
- The Momster
- 1937 A.D.!
- Secret Identity
- The Transcendental Sandwich
- The Steam-Driven Boy
- The Purloined Butter (Edgar Allan Poe)
- Pemberlys Start-Afresh Calliope (H.G. Wells)
- Ralph 4F (Hugo Gernsback)
- Engineer to the Gods (Robert Heinlein)
- Broot Force (Isaac Asimov)
- Joy Ride (Ray Bradbury)
- The Moon is Sixpence (Arthur C. Clarke)
- Solar Shoe-Salesman (Philip K. Dick)
- One Damned Thing after Another (Cordwainer Smith)
- The Sublimation World (J.G. Ballard)
Keep the Giraffe Burning. London: Panther, 1978.
Wrongly dated 1977 on copyright page. 17 stories:
- Elephant with Wooden Leg
- The Design
- The Face
- The Master Plan
- A Game of Jump
- The Hammer of Evil
- The Locked Room
- Another Look
- Space Shoes of the Gods
- The Poets of Millgrove, Iowa
- The Commentaries
- Heavens Below: Fifteen Utopias (listed in some bibliographies as 15 short-shorts)
- Scenes from Rural Life
- The Secret of the Old Custard (repeated from The Steam-Driven Boy)
- The Great Wall of Mexico
The Best of John Sladek. New York: Pocket Books, 1981.
40 stories, combining The Steam-Driven Boy and Keep the Giraffe Burning.
Alien Accounts. London: Granada, 1982.
- Masterson and the Clerks
- New Forms
- 198-, a Tale of "Tomorrow"
- Scenes from the Country of the Blind
- The Interstate
- Name (Please Print)
- Anxietal Register B
- The Communicants
The Lunatics of Terra. London: Gollancz, 1984.
18 stories, with Sladek's afterwords:
- The Last of the Whaleburgers
- Great Mysteries Explained!
- Red Noise
- Absent Friends
- After Flaubert
- The Brass Monkey
- White Hat
- The Island of Dr Circe
- Breakfast with the Murgatroyds
- The Next Dwarf
- An Explanation for the Disappearance of the Moon
- How to Make Major Scientific Discoveries at Home in Your Spare Time
- The Kindly Ones
- Ursa Minor
- Calling All Gumdrops!
Maps: The Uncollected John Sladek. Abingdon, Oxon: Big Engine, 2002.
Edited by David Langford. 60 previously uncollected stories, poems, playlets and essays, listed on David Langford's Maps page.
The New Apocrypha: A Guide to Strange Sciences and Occult Beliefs. London: Hart-Davis Macgibbon, 1973. New York: Stein & Day, 1974.
Arachne Rising: The Thirteenth Sign of the Zodiac, as by James Vogh. London: Hart-Davis Macgibbon, 1977. New York: Dial Press, 1977. Reissued as The Thirteenth Zodiac: The Sign of Arachne, London: Mayflower, 1979.
The Cosmic Factor: Health and Astrology, as by James Vogh. London: Hart-Davis Macgibbon, 1978. New York: Dodd, Mead, 1978. Reissued as Astrology and Your Health, London: Mayflower, 1980.
Judgement on Jupiter, as Richard A. Tilms. London: New English Library, 1980.
The Book of Clues. London: Corgi, 1984.
About the author Top of page